Monday 11 May 2015

Blabbing about: Ivan's Childhood (1962)

Hello!



I'm not really sure how I came to this film, oh wait, I was searching for an anti-war film
and this came up. It looked the most interesting so I decided to give it a go and watch it.
(I really like films with a child as a main character. You could see the whole world through
the child's eyes.)

So lets the review begin!


Basic information:

1962 ivanovo detstvo.jpg

Name of film: Ivan's Childhood (Russian: Ива́ново де́тство)
Director: Andrei Tarkovsky
Release year: 1962
Length: 95 minutes
Type of film: Drama, war, art-house

Basic plot: 
During World War Ⅱ, a 12 year old Ivan works as a spy on the eastern front (From IMDb)

Setting: 
The film is set during World War Ⅱ, on the eastern front (Well that's what it says on the "basic plot" haha)

Who was your favourite character and why?
Ivan, of course. how can someone not feel extremely extremely sad for him?
The dream sequences just make me cry. I also loved the Lieutenant and the Captain too.
Everyone was so kind. 

Did you feel any connection/sympathy towards any of the characters?
YES. Ivan, of course. I felt SO MUCH sympathy towards him. I just wanted to grab Ivan and drag him into this world and hug him and tell him that everything is okay...(Even though we can't really communicate lol) ...oh man.

What was your memorable/favourite scene and why?
I think that every scene from this film was memorable! But hmm... I would say all of Ivan's dream
sequences. UH, and that ending...oh god oh god. I just loved everything! I can't explain it all.
There were tons of memorable scenes, like when Ivan is in the car saying he doesn't want to get
sent to the school, the scene where Ivan and the Lieutenant talk and Ivan just starts to cry, the famous kissing scene...(But one of the thing I didn't quite understand was what was so significant about
the Masha? for example, I didn't really understand when she smiles at the forest... well, I'll get it someday I suppose.)

What was your most memorable/favourite quote and why?


There were heaps of memorable quotes in this film. I mean, pretty much every dialogue was memorable... 

Did this film remind of of any other films and why?
It reminded me of Wild Strawberries(1957), very surprisingly. I don't know why, but I kept
of remembering it while I was watching this film. Well, on Wikipedia it says:
"Famous filmmakers such as Ingmar BergmanSergei Parajanov and Krzysztof Kieślowski praised the film and cited it as an influence on their work"
So I guess I am actually making sense haha. And wow, it also says Ingmar Bergman said:
"My discovery of Tarkovsky's first film was like a miracle. Suddenly, I found myself standing at the door of a room the keys of which had, until then, never been given to me. It was a room I had always wanted to enter and where he was moving freely and fully at ease." 
(I really need to watch more Bergman films don't I?)

What do you think were the main themes/ideas of this film and why?
Definitely the brutality of war.... and it told me a lot about human relationships as well.
(The relationship between Ivan and Captain was just extremely heartwarming)

Did you enjoy the film? 
YES. It was much much more than I thought (And I did expect a lot!) 
I didn't think that it will haunt me this much. Ivan was just hanging in my head the whole day.
I really, really loved this film. This is definitely a film you have to watch at least once in your lifetime. I thought the acting was AMAZING, Ivan was just fantastic. 
(and the Lieutenant was so handsome!) 


This was such a flawless film. I thought it was as perfect as a film can ever be. 
I'm sure I would watch this film over and over again. It is definitely going on my "favorite films" list!

Ahh... I am completely in love with the director. I can't wait to watch more of his works and discover
many many amazing films. I am actually starting to get addicted to foreign cinema, which is great!

Bye bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment