Tuesday 14 April 2015

Blabbing about: Maurice (1987)


Hello!

So, I've known about this film so a pretty long time but never really
gave it a go because..well... I just didn't have the opportunity.
And, recently, I signed up for this website called Mubi.com and Maurice was shown on there.
I thought "oh yay!" and watched it as soon as I can.

So here goes my review!


1) Basic information:


(God this poster is so pretty! I've never seen it.)

Name of film: Maurice

Director: James Ivory

Release date: 1987

Length: 140 minutes

Type of film: Drama, Romance

Cast: James Wilby as Maurice Hall
Hugh Grant as Clive Durham
Rupert Graves as Alec Scudder



2) Basic plot: After his lover rejects him, a young man trapped by the oppressiveness of Edwardian society tries to come to terms with and accept his sexuality.

3) Setting: The film is set in England in the 1910's.

4) Who was your favorite character and why?
My favorite character was obviously, Maurice. I loved him so much.
I just- UGH. I felt SO SORRY for him half way through the film.
I wanted to like, step into the film and hug him and cry and tell him everything
will be okay.... oh mannn.......

5) Who was your least favorite character and why?
My least favorite character was, the Hugh Grant character Clive.
Goddammit Clive you're such an asshole. WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DO THIS??
But, yes I understand, but still.... 
This film was very hard to understand, I mean, Clive was very hard to understand.

6) Did you feel any connection/sympathy towards any of the characters?
Yes.... Maurice. I felt SO MUCH sympathy towards Maurice.
Ahhh...oh Maurice oh Maurice....

7) What was your memorable/favorite scene and why?
There were so many memorable scenes in this film.
Um....properly... Scene I liked: Making out scenes of Maurice/Clive
Scene that tore my heart out: When Clive told Maurice they should "change".

 
 

8) What was your most memorable/favorite quote and why?
Memorable quotes:"Think how easy life would be if we didn't have to go
all through this, this secrecy, and never being able to tell who you
are in love with to anybody."
"But don't you think it will be wonderful if there were someone who
I can care about in the same way I do about you?"
What Clive says to Maurice when he goes visit him. Just so, so sad.

9) Did this film remind of of any other films and why?
Um...probably "A room with a view". Well, its from the same
creators right? And it also reminded me of the British film "Victim" a bit.

10) What do you think were the main themes/ideas of this film and why?
The main themes are, definitely and obviously homosexuality.
I think that the director is telling us that we can either hide our true selves and
remain safe or risk everything and be with the person you love.
But..the confusing part is, I don't know if Clive even loved Maurice that much 
in the first place. Maurice was always the more well..what do you call it,
touchy..? well you know what I mean.
Clive didn't seem like he had any problem with going out with a girl and seemed
perfectly happy and I think he really loved his wife(maybe....)
So what the hell was up with him?? He tells Maurice that they both should marry
and the next moment he is... Hmm.... that's the hard part.
So did Clive not really love Maurice in the first place and really fall in love
with his wife or is he just hiding all his feelings even though Maurice is the one?

 
 
(God they are so hot lol)

Well... I personally think it is the second one, and after Maurice runs off with
Scudder I think Clive realises everything that he has lost.
Maybe Clive has the most un-happiest ending, I think he will regret it for the rest of his life.
(He will be happy, but probably only in a shallow way. )


11) Did you enjoy the film? 
Yes I did! I enjoyed the film very very much. But I don't really know if
I liked it because it was so sad!! 
I loved when Clive and Maurice were together, but it was absolute torture watching 
Maurice alone after Clive has left him.

Gay-themed films are just amazing aren't they? I mean, it makes mainstream
romance movies so boring. I dunno but it just makes it more interesting and
it's just...hotter when its two guys ahaha(shut up)
It just makes everything more sadder for me personally.
Now I can add Maurice to my gay-themed film list! yay!
Watched gay-themed films: 
Victim(1963)
Boys in the band(1970)
Maurice(1987)
Philadelphia(1993)
The celluloid closet(1995)
The Birdcage(1996)
Beautiful thing(1996)
Juste une question d'amour(2000)  
Brokeback Mountain(2005)
Mysterious Skin(2004)
Shelter(2007)
I love you Phillip Morris(2009)
Prayers for Bobby(2009)
Kill your darlings(2013)                           



Ohhh nearly forgot but I actually did a drawing/made a poster!!



Lol I actually put some effort in it. And the hardest thing
about it was the placing of the quote on the bottom.
And... I actually made all the GIFS here too ahaha. I'm so proud daym.

"If I were in love with anyone now,
It would be some nice girl."


Bye bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment