Thursday 23 April 2015

Random topic: "I'm an unspeakable of the Oscar Wilde sort"- Blabbing about Maurice (book + film)


Hello!

"I should have gone through life half awake if you had the decency to leave me alone.
Awake intellectually, yes, and emotionally in a way; but here-" He pointed with his pipe stem
to his heart; and both smiled. "Perhaps we woke up one another. I like to think that anyway."

(Holy shit this is one of my many favorite lines from the book and I am going to cry)

Ok, since I watched the wonderful wonderful film Maurice, I HAD to read the book.
I got at out at my local library and was surprised at how thin it was and read it in a few days.
(I took my time reading it because I kept of saving it for later- I just didn't want to finish it.)

So here goes my talking about the book and film in general!

I LOVED this book. It is my new favorite book ever. I have finally discovered how beautiful
novels can be. I am completely in love with this book. Ugh, I am just so sad I finished it.
Well, I'm sure I will read it over and over again though.

I just loved everything, it was just flawless. The very surprising this was I actually
prefer the book over the film! (I can't believe I am saying this since I hate people who
says the book is always better) I thought the book made more sense. 
Like, in the film, I felt that the chemistry and love was so strong between Maurice and Clive 
and it just never went away. So when Alec came along, I didn't feel too convinced.
(I just couldn't help but think that Maurice and Clive is the true couple, even though they
is no way they could be ever together)
But, when I read the book, I understood everything. I never thought I will ever think this
way though haha. 

And yes, I liked the ending in the book more than the film. I thought it was more romantic and 
haunting when Maurice disappeared off into the darkness, leaving Clive all alone.
But, I absolutely LOVE the film as well, don't get me wrong! haha.

It was just awesome because the impression I got from the book and the film are so different.
For the film, I was just completely heartbroken and was pretty much depressed for the whole day.
Even though Maurice has found Alec, it just seemed like still, Clive was the "true" love.
(And of course, Maurice was Clive's only one) I don't know but - I just felt that way (Sorry Alec lol) BUT, in the novel, I didn't feel any of that.
I knew that Maurice absolutely loves Alec and so does Alec. Maurice and Alec was the "true" couple with the only happy ending. And Clive is just standing there all alone.
In that way, I enjoyed the book better.
(The film was just extremely sad, but the novel made me happy at the end.
Although it was absolute torture half way reading Maurice shattered to pieces.)

Of the many heart breaking chapters and episodes, this scene was the most memorable for me:

"Miss Edna May is not only beautiful, she is attractive."
"She doesn't attract me," said Maurice pettishly.
"Oh Mr Hall, what an ungallant remark. Look at her lovely hair."
"I like short hair best."
"Why?"
"Because I can stroke it -" and he began to cry.

Oh man I'm going to cry.... this scene...UGH THIS SCENE.
I thought the "Stroking hair" is a important symbol in Maurice.

When Clive faints at Maurice's house, the book tells us he is not in love with Maurice anymore
and he becomes interested in women. These scenes really confuse me.
Did Clive just actually, lose interest in Maurice (and men and general) or did he just
"try" to not love him? I don't know exactly (of course) but I will just say that I personally think
that Clive would always love Maurice - well, more like Maurice's shadows (Although he 
would never admit it, even to himself) I think that Clive was so guilty and disgusted at himself
(of being "abnormal") he just thought that he has changed. And by believing that, he has
fallen in love with Anne. Clive is a fascinating character. How can someone completely hide
everything of their true self and act as someone else? 
So I personally think that Clive has not changed, he can't change, but he has wished so much
to be normal that he ...well, has. So well, I think that Clive thinks that he has changed and
loves his wife - but he really doesn't. And he himself doesn't even know that. If he does,
it will be the end of him. 
(Hmm.....This kind of reminds me of a scene in "The boys in the band(1970)"
When Harold tells Michael:"You're a sad and pathetic man. You're a homosexual and you don't want to be, but there's nothing you can do to change it. Not all the prayers to your god, not all the analysis you can buy in all the years you've go left to live. You may one day be able to know a heterosexual life if you want it desperately enough. If you pursue it with the fervor with which you annihilate. But you'll always be homosexual as well. Always Michael. Always. Until the day you die."
Daym this quote is like perfect for my feelings towards Clive!)

A lot of people, well, more the everyone I have read their opinions so far says that
Clive and Maurice was never meant for each other and they have never gotten along if
Clive didn't run away, but I don't think that way.
I just don't think there is a "If they were together..." thing. They will always be parted,
not matter what. It's their destiny(destiny is a cruel thing...) 
It is like, they are TOO perfect for each other they have to be separated.
(It reminds me of this manga book published in the 80's where a prince falls in love with
a man who is in love with a woman. The prince tells the man:
"Why can't we be together?If we are together, the whole world will be ours. 
We are perfect for one and other!" The man says 
"That is why we have to be parted. we are TOO perfect. God has made us
both men so we cannot be together, to avoid us from loving each other.")
In this case, I think god made Clive the way he is so they cannot be together.
(lol wtf am I saying I'm a freaking atheist haha)

Well anyway, in conclusion, I thought that both novel and film versions of Maurice
are absolutely amazing and I'm sure I would read/watch them over and over again.

"While beyond the barrier Maurice wandered, the wrong words on his lips and the wrong
desires in his heart, and his arms full of air."

Ohhh and I loved the terminal note by written in 1960. I loved it when he wrote
(About Clive)"He has annoyed me. I may nag at him over much, stress his aridity and 
political pretensions and the thinning of his hair, nothing he or his wife or his mother
does it ever right."

Uh..I just love everything about this novel. I just love the fact it was written in the actual time
the story is set. Now, that is just rare. I am definitely going to read "A room with a view"
written by F.M. Forster next. I've watched the film last year but I hardly remember it...


"And now we shan't be parted no more, and that's finished."

No comments:

Post a Comment