Monday 27 April 2015

Blabbing about: Walkabout (1971)

Hello!

So, yes, it's Mubi.com again. I really appreciate this website.
The synopsis sounded very interesting so I decided to watch this film.
It was my first ever Australian film I ever saw, yay I'm trying out on so many
different types of films since I signed up for this site haha.

So here goes my review! Or well, just randomly talking about my thoughts...


1) Basic information:


Name of film: Walkabout
DirectorNicolas Roeg
Release date: 1971
Length: 100 minutes
Type of film: Drama, Adventure

2) Basic plot:
A young sister and brother are abandoned in the harsh Australian outback and must learn to exist in the natural world without their usual comforts, in this hypnotic masterpiece.
(From MUBI)

3) Setting:
This film is set in Australia and I am pretty sure it is during the time of release, the early 70's.

4) Who was your favourite character and why?
My favorite character will be the main character, the girl. Man, I just realised this but none of the character has names in this film! That's awesome! I love it when names don't really matter in films.
It makes everything more mysterious and poetic. Well anyway, I don't know how old the girl is, but I was surprised at how strong and independent she was. I have a little brother about the same age as her little brother but I don't think I can do shit! And... I was surprised at the fact there was nudity!
I mean, how old is she, like 14 maybe? I have never seen a film where a little girl has full frontal nudity, it probably is a taboo nowadays.  


5) Who was your least favourite character and why?
That stupid asshole who kept on telling the kids they can't touch anything.Ugh.

6) Did you feel any connection/sympathy towards any of the characters?
Well yes I did feel connections towards all three main characters in this film.

7) What was your memorable/favourite scene and why?
All the scenes were breath taking. The scenery of Australia was just beautiful. I thought that
pretty much every scene was memorable but I might say that it was ...hmmm.....
I don't know but I will have to say that that scene where the girl and her brother finds
the Aboriginal boy in the tree was just shocking. 
And this film was pretty full of dead animals and flies/maggots ahaha. I'm not those people
who go hysterical over animals dying but some scenes were hard to watch. I'm 
extremely bad with blood and gore.

8) What was your most memorable/favourite quote and why?
I don't really think the dialogue was important in this film. I mean, it's more
like the least important thing in the film isn't it? The Aboriginal boy and the two kids
didn't even understand each other but they developed a friendship. Maybe that is one of 
the ideas that the director wanted to convey.

9) Did this film remind of of any other films and why?
No, not really. As the tagline says, it was, "Just about the most different film you'll ever see"

10) What do you think were the main themes/ideas of this film and why?
I don't really know, but I thought maybe just human relationships and how adults are cruel and
children are alone. It made me think about how people are pretty much all kind, and that the world
has some hope(well, not in the city perhaps) Aborigines have a very dark past don't they?
It makes me sad. It is just so different from how the Maori people have been treated in New Zealand.

11) Did you enjoy the film? 
Yep I definitely did! It was a very cruel but tender film.Very very interesting also.
Some scenes really scared me. There were a ton of aspects I didn't quite understand but oh well.
(Anyway, don't you think it is so strange how I actually got a excellence mark on my
film study assignment? Ha! Well I have to get the best mark, look how much films I watch)

Bye bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment